Tuesday 28 May 2013

Last minute Travel Prep DIY's

50 Shades of Khaki


I have packed and re-packed and then re-packed again. Packing 'light' ain't easy. Even when everything is all one colour.

I' m just about ready to leave but thought I would share some last minute travel inspired DIY's.

I have two camera bags. Two very nice camera bags. Unfortunately nothing says 'come rob me' like walking around Africa with expensive camera bags and equipment draped around yr neck. For this trip I have one large pack and a small day pack. I decided to convert this day pack into a camera bag.


By attaching velcro strips to both the inside walls of the backpack and to the edges of some soft material covered foam, I created dividers making a compartment for each lens and camera body. Easy peasy.

Now all my equipment can be safely stored in the bottom of my tiny day pack.




Next I wanted to create a bean bag to use as a base when taking pictures. Bean bags are used when a tripod isn't an option. Camera shake is a real problem on safari, especially with the hum of the jeeps and rovers we travel in. Camera shake distorts perfectly framed sunset pics or time lapsed photos of a starry night - especially when using long telephoto lenses. Most stores sell reasonable options but why buy what you can make yourself? Unless you want to buy something from us of course :)


Using a scrap of material I had laying around (I used a safari friendly print but you can make yours as cute or plain as you want) a ziploc bag and some un-popped popcorn I constructed a bean bag body. The ziploc is a good idea to protect from moisture, and also helps if you plan make your bag re-fillable. You can use dried beans, peas, rice whatever you have at home. Or - make an empty cloth pouch and fill your ziploc bag when you arrive at your destination with rice or sand, whatever you like. I made my pouch with a velcro closure but snaps or zippers would work great too!By filling it with small round material (like popcorn or beans) your bag is easily mold-able and can take on whatever shape you need it to. This can give your camera height, or allow it to be propped at just the right angle to get the shot you need. It can even be easily folded in half.


velcro closure & popcorn
finished bag

Bag folded in half - propping camera body

That's all folks. Ive procrastinated long enough. Time to go re-organize that rucksack one final time.

-H xo










1 comment:

  1. You'll be the most beautiful girl in khaki...safe travels...enjoy every sight, smell, and sound...soak it all in...and bring home the memories for us all to share. X0

    ReplyDelete